- Town Manager
- Town Meeting & Budget
- Ballot Items
Town Ballot Items
The Town's elected Selectboard has proposed two Town articles to be voted on by ballot this year, the Town Municipal Services Budget and the Colchester Recreation Center. You will find additional information below.
Town Municipal Services Budget (Article 6)
"Shall the voters of the Town of Colchester approve total general fund expenditures of Fifteen Million, Twenty-Eight Thousand, Three Hundred Eighty-Six Dollars ($15,028,386} of which Twelve Million, Six Hundred Twenty-Two Thousand, One Hundred Eighty-Nine Dollars ($12,622,189} shall be raised by taxes and Two Million, Four Hundred Six Thousand, One Hundred Ninety-Seven Dollars ($2,406,197} by non-tax revenues for the Fiscal Year July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023?"
- Estimated to increase the municipal service tax rate by 5.7 %
- Maintains current level of municipal services and addresses additional resource needs in IT due to expanding cybersecurity threats and increased service fees for departmental specific software and internet connectivity, as well as a Civilian Evidence Technician in the Colchester Police Department and additional resources needed for data storage and transmission required for Body Worn Cameras and Digital Evidence Software
- Residential Property Value Impact: For a property valued at $300,000, the increase would be $99/year or $1.90/week
- Summary of the Proposed FY24 Budget
- Budget Document Page (Budget Presentation, Revenues, Expenses, and Budget by Area of Expenditure)
- If you have any questions, please contact Renae Marshall, Deputy Town Manager at email@example.com or by phone at 802-264-5509.
Colchester Recreation Center (Article 7)
"Shall general obligation bonds or notes of the Town of Colchester in the amount of $6,907,000.00, subject to available grants-in-aid, be issued under Section 703(c) of the Town Charter and Subchapter 1 of Chapter 53 of Title 24, Vermont Statutes Annotated, payable from the existing 1% local option sales tax over a period not to exceed ten years, and shall the Town use $9,000,000.00, in previously collected local option sales taxes that are restricted to voter approved capital projects, for the construction of a Recreation Center?"
The Colchester Recreation Center, a 29,427 sq. ft. multi-generational facility, responds to a community need that has been identified over the past 20 years through multiple surveys, community outreach and engagement.
The Colchester Recreation Center, to be located on town owned land between Blakely Rd and East Lakeshore Drive, will include: full-sized multi-purpose gymnasium, elevated walking/running track, locker rooms, kitchen, classrooms and studio space and a cardio/weight room.
Here is some additional information:
- Explanation of Project
- Video of Presentation
- Studies, outreach surveys and public meetings document demand for more indoor recreation facilities and group gathering space, as explained in more detail here
- Increased recreation opportunities are important for a community's health, economy, and social fabric
- Land for Center was purchased in 2004 with voter approval
- There will be NO increase in property taxes to support or construct the facility
- There will be NO increase to the Local Option Tax (project is funded with existing 1% local option tax)
- Availability of Local Option Tax Funding
- Endorsements of Project
- Frequently Asked Questions regarding the Colchester Recreation Center
- If you have any questions please contact Glen Cuttitta, Parks and Recreation Director at
firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at 802-264-5640, or visit https://colchestervt.info/Rec-Ctr.