Justices of the Peace
The Justices of the Peace
Justices are elected every two years in November. Their terms begin on February 1st and end January 31st.
Duties of a Justice of the Peace
The responsibilities of Justices of the Peace fall into five categories:
ElectionsJustices of the Peace are members of the Board of Civil Authority (BCA). Members of the BCA serve as election officials at Town and statewide elections by Australian ballot. They also are responsible for delivering absentee ballots to voters during elections.
Tax Abatement and AppealsJustices of the Peace sit as members of the Town Board for Abatement of Taxes to determine whether a taxpayer's tax obligation should be forgiven under certain circumstances. Justices of the Peace serve an important role in the Town's tax appeal process. As a member of the Board of Civil Authority, Justices hear and decide appeals when a citizen disagrees with a final decision of the Board of Listers.
MarriagesJustices of the Peace may solemnize marriages in Vermont.
Oaths and NotaryJustices of the Peace may administer oaths in all cases where an oath is required, unless prohibited by a specific law. A Justice of the Peace is a Notary Public ex officio if the VT education and registration requirements have been met.
MagistrateJustices of the Peace may serve as a magistrate when so commissioned by the Supreme Court.
Current Justices of the Peace (February 1, 2021 - January 31, 2023)
- Carol Anderson Email Ms. Anderson or (802) 860-7141
- Sarita Austin Email Ms. Austin or (802) 310-4698
- Leora Black Email Ms. Black or (802) 598-4580
- Ruth Blauwiekel Email Ms. Blauwiekel or (802) 578-3467
- Mary Brennan Email Ms. Brennan or (802) 863-3773
- Patrick Brennan Email Mr. Brennan (802) 578-2763
- Wendy Critchlow Email Ms. Critchlow or (802) 999-3707
- Maureen Dakin Email Ms. Dakin or (802) 777-8507
- Peg Gillard Email Ms. Gillard or (802) 316-1081
- Julie Hulburd Email Ms. Hulburd or (802) 363-1056
- Sarah Leeuw Email Ms. Leeuw or (203)415-2361
- Marie Reine Pepin Email Ms. Pepin or (802) 658-3537
- Donald Sargent Email Mr. Sargent or (802) 878-5921
- Curt Taylor Email Mr. Taylor or (802) 324-7188
- Tom Yasewicz Email Mr. Yasewicz