Colchester Recreation Center
What is the Colchester Recreation Center?
The Colchester Recreation Center will be considered by voters on the Town Meeting Day ballot in March 2023. The construction of the recreation center, a 29,427 square foot multi-generational facility, responds to a community need that has been identified over the past 20 years through multiple surveys, community out-reach and engagement.
The Recreation Center will include:
- Full-size, multi-purpose gymnasium
- Elevated walking/running track
- Locker rooms
- Classrooms and studio space
- Cardio/weight room
This project will be paid entirely from the current and future proceeds generated from the existing 1% Local Option Tax (LOT), approved by voters in 2015 for financing of existing or future voter-approved capital projects.
- NO PROPERTY TAXES will be needed for this project
- Membership and facility use fees will cover the ongoing operating expenses
- NO PROPERTY TAXES will be used for operating costs of the Colchester Recreation Center
This presentation provides an overview of the project.
What is the Local Option Tax (LOT)?
The 1% Local Option Tax is a tax applied to all taxable goods sold in the Town of Colchester that was approved by Colchester voters on Town Meeting Day 2015. LOT proceeds may only be used for voter approved capital projects.
What are the exact funding plans for the Colchester Recreation Center?
| $9,000,000 ||in available proceeds from the LOT as of 6/30/2023 |
|+$6,907,000||loan which will be paid from LOT proceeds over a ten-year period |
|$15,907,000 ||paid entirely from Local Option Tax Proceeds|
Click LOT Availability to learn more.
Colchester Recreation Center Informational Video
Explanation of Project
Video of Presentation
Frequently Asked Questions
Town Meeting Day Ballot Language & Voting Information
ARTICLE 7 - Colchester Recreation Center
"Shall general obligation bonds or notes of the Town of Colchester in the amount of $6,907,000.00, subject to available grants-in-aid, be issued under Section 703(c) of the Town Charter and Subchapter 1 of Chapter 53 of Title 24, Vermont Statutes Annotated, payable from the existing 1% local option sales tax over a period not to exceed ten years, and shall the Town use $9,000,000.00, in previously collected local option sales taxes that are restricted to voter approved capital projects, for the construction of a Recreation Center?"
For more information on the ballot items, please visit: https://colchestervt.gov/344/Ballot-Items
When & Where to Vote In-Person
Tuesday, March 7, 2023 from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM at the Colchester High School Gymnasium, Laker Lane.
When, Where, & How to Complete Absentee/Early Ballot Voting
- Visit My Voter Page, https://mvp.vermont.gov/ to set up your personal voter account to request an absentee ballot be mailed to you directly. From this website you can track your ballot until it is received and counted.
- Call 802-264-5520 to have your absentee ballot sent by US Postal Mail. Return by mail using the provided return envelope and be sure to allow time for postal transit!
- Come into the Town Clerk’s Office M-F 7:30 AM-4:30 PM to request an absentee ballot.
- Colchester Election Early/Absentee Ballot Drop Box is located at 781 Blakely Rd. between the Town Hall and Police Dept. buildings.
NOTE: Please be sure to put your voted ballot into the Certificate Envelope and complete the signature section before you drop off. Ballots must be received in the Town Clerk’s Office by 12:00 PM or the Drop Box by 4:30 PM on Monday, March 6, 2023. These voted ballots, sealed in completed Certificate Envelopes, can also be dropped off at the polling location (Colchester High School) on Election Day until 7:00 pm. There will be a drop box at the Help Desk.
For more information on the election and voting, please visit the Town Clerk’s webpage: https://colchestervt.gov/325/Elections-and-Voter-Information