Justices of the peace
The Justices of the Peace.
Justices are elected every two years in November. Their terms begin on February 1st and end January 31st.
Overview of duties of a Justice of the PeaceThe duties of justices of the peace fall into five categories of responsibilities:
Justices of the peace are members of the board of civil authority (BCA). Members of the BCA serve as election officials at town elections by Australian ballot and statewide elections. Justices also are responsible for delivering absentee ballots to voters at election time.
Tax Abatement and Appeals
Justices of the peace sit as members of the town board for abatement of taxes to determine whether a taxpayer's tax obligation should be forgiven under certain circumstances. Justices of the peace also serve an important role in the town's tax appeal process. As a member of the board of civil authority, justices sit to hear and decide appeals when citizens do not agree with the final decision of the listers.
Justices of the peace may also solemnize marriages in Vermont.
Oaths and Notary
Justices of the peace may also administer oaths in all cases where an oath is required, unless a specific law makes a different provision. A justice of the peace is a notary public ex officio and has all the acknowledgment powers of a notary public.
Justices of the peace may also serve as a magistrate when so commissioned by the Supreme Court.
- Sarita Austin Email Ms. Austin or (802) 310-4698
- Carolyn Barnes Email Ms. Barnes or (802) 878-5370
- Leora Black Email Ms. Black or (802) 5984580
- Ruth Blauwiekel Email Ms. Blauwiekel or (802) 578-3467
- Mary Brennan Email Ms. Brennan or (802) 863-3773
- Patrick Brennan Email Mr. Brennan (802) 578-2763
- Maureen Dakin Email Ms. Dakin or (802) 777-8507
- Peg Gillard Email Ms. Gillard or (802) 316-1081
- Julie Hulburd Email Ms. Hulburd or (802) 363-1056
- Marie Reine Pepin Email Ms. Pepin or (802) 658-3537
- Pam Loranger Email Ms. Loranger or (802) 846-7313
- Kristy Kurt Spengler Email Ms. Spengler or (802) 864-6567
- Jeff Spengler Email Mr. Spengler or (802) 864-6567
- Curt Taylor Email Mr. Taylor or (802) 324-7188