Burnham Memorial Library
The Burnham Memorial Library welcomes people of all ages to enrich their lives through books, audio-visual materials and programs. The library will provide materials for life-long learning and assistance in using information resources, with an emphasis on early literacy in children. Colchester residents will look to the Library as a place that is attractive and welcoming, with an atmosphere that inspires them to learn, grow, and become better citizens.
- Closings - The Library will be closed on Thursday, Sept. 3 for a planning workshop, and Monday, Sept. 7 for Labor Day.
- Update - The exam scheduled for Aug. 29 has been canceled due to lack of sign-ups. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Practice College Entrance Exams - Kaplan and the Burnham Memorial Library have partnered to offer students a free practice test. The test will allow students to sit for the exam and have an authentic testing experience. Students will also receive a full score report outlining their strengths and weaknesses. The test takes place just down the street at Our Lady of Grace Church (784 Main Street).
- Tabletop Games for Kids & Families – Tuesday, Sept. 8 at 4 pm. Looking to try new games with old friends or old games with new friends? The possibilities are endless! Bring a friend, bring your favorite game, or come solo and gameless. We will provide drinks, snacks, and some games. We welcome suggestions for games to purchase. For all kids & their families. Register
- Teen Tinker Tuesday: Mug Cakes – Tuesday, Sept. 15 at 4:30 pm. Using Sharpie markers and some innovative baking, we’re decorating mugs to make the perfect receptacles for cake creations. Mix and match secret ingredients to create scrumptious treats. Ages 12 & up. Register
- Outdoor Sketching/Painting – Monday, Sept. 21 from 6-7:30 pm. A relaxed evening of drawing and painting around the Library. Register
- Any Vermont resident may register for free borrowing privileges.
- Circulation Periods:
- 3 weeks - Books
- 2 weeks - New books, audio/video materials, and e-Readers
- 1 week - Periodicals and passes
- Borrowers are financially responsible for damaged and lost library materials.
- There are only overdue fines on VHS Tapes, DVDs, e-readers, and passes.
- Items may be reserved or renewed at the library, by phone, or through the online catalog, unless the item is on hold for another patron.
- The library has book drops located at Town Hall (781 Blakely Road), and at the Rite-Aid near the Price Chopper (1184 Prim Road).
- We participate in Vermont's inter-library loan system - read more about it here.
- The library is part of the Homecard system, enabling Colchester residents to borrow directly from other participating Chittenden County libraries.
- Computers, printers, and a scanner are available for Internet access, email, and working with documents.
- The library has public Wi-Fi for those with their own laptops or other devices.
- We offer access to the Vermont Online Library - a collection of online research databases with materials for all ages.
- The library has a selection of large print books and current magazines.
- The library receives the Burlington Free Press and the New York Times (Daily), and the Colchester Sun and Seven Days (weekly).
- Audiobooks, e-Readers, videos, DVDs, music CDs, and Playaways are available for checkout.
- We have a public meeting space which can be used by community groups - call for information or availability.
- The library has a public photocopier; we also have a fax machine available for outgoing calls.
- The library has space for local artists to exhibit their work, and display cases for exhibits of interest for both adults and children.
- The library offers programs for all ages.
- The library is accessible to those with physical disabilities.